Limoncello is such a special drink. It is perfect for a hot day or with brunch with the girls. However, be aware that it takes DAYS to make. It is great but the greatness takes time, about 3-10 days.
Because you will be using the peels of the lemons, be sure to make sure your lemons are clean before you begin. I like to use the Trader Joe’s fruit and vegetable cleaner but white vinegar works well too.
- 6 lemons
- 2 cups vodka I used Grey Goose
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 cups water
- Using a paring knife, carefully peel the lemons. Be sure to get as much as the pith(the white part before the pulp) as you can.
- Place the the peels in a jar with the vodka.
- Loosely cover cover the jar and place it in a cool dark space for 3-10 days.
- When your vodka and peel mixture is ready heat a saucepan on medium heat with the sugar and water to make a syrup. Bring mixture to a soft boil until the sugar is dissolved. remove from heat and let it cool completely.
- Once cooled, add the syrup to a pitcher.
- Using a funnel lined with a coffee filter or thin cheesecloth, strain the lemon infused vodka into the syrup mixture and mix well.
- Separate the mixture into smaller, clean bottles and seal. These will last up to 6 months in the refrigerator.