I love using royal icing to decorate cookies. It gives them a clean, beautiful finish but also tastes great.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- ¼ cup water(plus more for thinning)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk meringue powder and ¼ cup water until a slight foam starts to form.
- Add in powdered sugar slowly with vanilla.
- Mix until icing is bright white and combined(about 2 minutes). The mixture will be very think.
- Separate into two sections, one for outlining and one for flooding.
- Adding a small amount of water(about 1 teaspoon) to one bowl for the outlining. Well mixed the consistency should fall off a spoon in a glob formation.
- In the other bowl mix in water slowly until the consistency runs semi quickly off the spoon and the “treads” in the bowl dissipate after a few seconds.
- Using a piping bag with a tip outline cookies with first icing mixture.
- Once dried, flood the rest of the cookie with other icing mixture.
- Let dry and enjoy!