To be perfectly honest, I haven’t ever been a big fan of strawberry milk. The remade bottle never suited me and always tasted so sugary and fake.
I’m not sure what made me want to make this. Perhaps it was the giant amount of strawberries that I had just purchased from Costco. Our children always claim to eat the large sums of food I purchase but almost always they are half eaten. Having made this I can say homemade is a lot better than anything I have found in a store. The best part is is that I know exactly what is going into.
Making this is very similar to making jam although you are basically making a syrup to be mixed into milk.
Straining is always an issue for me. It doesn’t matter what it is I am making, I always seem to spill it everywhere.
Strawberry milk will probably stay as a only special treat in our household and not an every day beverage but I think that makes the kids love it even more!
- 1 cup fresh strawberries sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- whole milk
- Place strawberries, sugar, and water in a sauce pan and bring to a soft boil.
- With a watchful eye, keep it boiling for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a strainer, catch the strawberry pieces in a bowl so only the liquid remains.
- Let it cool slightly before putting it in the refrigerator to chill for about 30 minutes.
- Pour milk into a glass. Add 2-5 tbs(or to taste) of the strawberry liquid and enjoy!